Happy July! We're so glad you're here.
To support you in being F.I.R.S.T. (Future-Ready. Innovative. Relevant. Strategic. Trusted.), here's 1 tip, 1 question and 1 quote.
1. The F.I.R.S.T. Tip
Have you noticed many begin their conversations with a problem statement? A smaller group of positive thinkers begin with opportunity statements. That’s not bad, however it can blind us to the problems inherent in any situation.
Wouldn't life be more empowering if we simply began with the Situation Statement instead?
Just state the situation as is. For example: “Our team has people from five cultures.”
- In contrast, the problem statement could be - "How do I deal with the cultural differences prevalent in my team?"
- And an opportunity statement could be - "How do I harness the strengths of the five different cultures present in my team?"
When you start conversations with a Situation Statement, you are able to break this down into actionable problem and opportunity statements, more easily.
And when you separate the problems from the opportunities, and discuss each in isolation, you will be able to apply critical thinking and view them more clearly.
Do this a few times and this will soon become your default mental setting.
Try it. Experience the difference.
Tip: In every situation, there are problems and opportunities. Shift your perspective to seeing the situation for what it is, and you will gain the clarity to overcome problems and seize opportunities.
2. What's the first thing you think about when you meet a change or challenge?
People often fall into 2 categories.
Some ask "Can I?"
Others, "How can I?"
What's the difference between the two?
- "Can I?" is an inward looking thought that questions your (perceived) capability.
- "How can I?" assumes you have the capability, the question is, how? You will be amazed at how much more creative and resourceful you become in making it happen.
The questions you ask...
Impact the actions you take...
And the results you likely get.
Addressing thinking patterns is the first step in any transformation project we do. In our one-day "The Opportunity of Change" facilitation, we threw the leaders a seemingly impossible challenge in a competition, and it's fascinating how this led to realisations about their default thinking patterns.
Can I? Or How can I?
What is yours?
The best part is, simply by being mindful, we can change the questions we ask ourselves into more empowering ones
3. The F.I.R.S.T. Thought of the Month (Though this is for life)
If If you would like the F.I.R.S.T. newsletter delivered straight to your inbox every month, subscribe here - https://influence-solutions.com/firstnewsletter